In 2016, Eindhoven issued an I-City tender encouraging start-up companies to apply with their ideas on how to make the city smarter. More than 20 firms were competing with innovative ideas, seven of them are now selected. The award-winning ideas tackle various sectors of the daily life:
- Abby Solutions wants to integrate solar energy into the everyday business and has therefore developed a mobile sustainable energy source to make electric bikes smart.
- Bit Sensor’s new IT solutions are filling the gap between connected devices and security issues.
- Atelier Veeger developed an interactive billboard which residents can use 24/7 and that allows not only an increased involvement of the citizens but also the public environment to respond.
- Octo optimises occupation and comfort in Triangulum’s demo-area Strijp-S by monitoring and using real-time data. Because of this innovation, nobody has to search endlessly for the ideal workplace any more.
- ViNotion experiments with smart cameras that can interpret images and provide information about special activities in the Strijp-S corridor. In this way, smart roads could be developed that for instance respond automatically in case of an emergency.
- Omines develops a smart city data platform on which data from smart cities can be collected, edited and analysed. In this manner, various data sources can be combined for the benefit of the resident and the user.
The listed start-up companies are selected to receive 20,000€ each in order to realise their innovative ideas and solutions which will contribute to future smart districts and cities.
One of the winners presenting his innovative idea in front of Eindhoven’s jury